PORTA NUOVA ARCH
Porta Nuova Arch is the entrance gate to the historic centre when coming from the Sanctuary of Caravaggio down the tree-lined avenue. The arch was built in 1709 to commemorate the coronation of Our Lady of Caravaggio at the Sanctuary that year. The apparition of the Virgin Lady to Giannetta is sculpted in the upper part of the arch. It is the last remaining entrance gate to the town: the other four gates, one for each neighbourhood within the walls, collapsed as the town walls were torn down.
Location: Largo Cavenaghi, less than 1 km (0.62 mi) from Caravaggio train station and approximately 2 km (1.24 mi) from the A35 Brebemi motorway exit. The nearest parking places are in Largo Cavenaghi.
For information please contact the Cultural Office (Ufficio Cultura) at firstname.lastname@example.org or at +39 0363 356213.